Arab-Americans shift their loyalty to Kerry
Ron
2004-08-28 04:31:19 UTC
Arab-Americans shift their loyalty to Kerry
Bryan Bender The Boston Globe
Friday, August 13, 2004

Polls show civil liberties as a big issue

WASHINGTON Arab-American voters, disenchanted with President George W. Bush’s policies on
the Middle East and what they consider assaults on their civil liberties around the
country, are abandoning the Republican president and throwing their support behind his
Democratic opponent, John Kerry, according to new polls and community leaders.

The 3.5 million Arab-Americans constitute a voting bloc that perhaps more than any other
has shifted its party loyalties since the 2000 election, when nearly half voted for Bush.

Polls conducted this summer showed Kerry leading Bush by a margin of more than 2 to 1.

Their votes could prove crucial this year, analysts say, especially in battleground states
like Michigan, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania, each with more than 100,000 voters of Arab
descent. But their support for Kerry appears soft, some say, in part because he and Bush
have taken strong pro-Israel positions.

As a result, the ultimate allegiance of Arab-Americans remains volatile, with a
significant number considering the independent candidacy of Ralph Nader, a
Lebanese-American who has called for the United States to pull out of Iraq and for the
repeal of legislation, known as the Patriot Act, that many Arab-Americans say has been
used to infringe on their rights.

Kerry has tried to limit Bush’s inroads with Jewish voters by backing Israel over the
Palestinian Authority, and this week said he would have still voted for the war in Iraq
even if he had known at the time that Saddam Hussein had no unconventional weapons or ties
to the Sept. 11 attacks.

And while Kerry supports amending the counterterrorism measure widely condemned by
Arab-Americans, he was among a majority of lawmakers who voted for it in October 2001.

‘‘It’s a dilemma,’’ said Taleb Salhab, coordinator of the Florida Arab American Leadership
Council. ‘‘We have worked diligently with the Kerry cam paign to get them to address some
of these concerns, but the Nader factor remains an issue in our community.’’

Peter Camejo, Nader’s running-mate, said in an interview, ‘‘The Muslim Arab community is
very anti-Bush and is going to Kerry, but it’s also one area where Nader is getting a lot
of support.’’

There are an estimated 270,000 Arab-Americans in Florida, 400,000 in Michigan, 160,000 in
Ohio, and 150,000 in Pennsylvania. About 70 percent of Arab-Americans are Christians.

A high voter turnout is expected this fall. ‘‘People are really, really fired up about
this election,’’ said Salhab, a Kerry supporter. ‘‘I think Florida will play a critical
role as it did the last time. I am confident our community will turn out to vote in record
numbers.’’

So far Kerry is clearly benefiting from the growing anti-Bush feelings over the Iraq war,
a growing chasm between the West and the Islamic world, and what Arab-American leaders see
as ethnic profiling and the White House's disregard for their concerns.

In community centers, mosques and churches the disdain for Bush is evident.

‘‘It seems that the only time this administration wants to meet with us is for photo
opportunities, not to hear our concerns about policies here at home and abroad,’’ Mahdi
Bray, executive director of the Muslim American Society’s Freedom Foundation, wrote
recently on the group's Web site.

Bush’s approval rating among Arab-Americans is 24 percent, according to Zogby
International, an independent polling firm.

Even though only one-third were registered Republicans in 2000, 47 percent voted for Bush.
Yet, according to several recent polls in states with large numbers of Arab-Americans,
they are leaning much more toward Kerry.

A recent Zogby poll showed that 54 percent supported Kerry, while 24 percent favored Bush.
Of the rest, 21 percent said they were undecided or backing Nader.

The July poll in Florida, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania found that 30 percent who
described themselves as Republicans agreed that it was ‘‘time for someone new.’’

‘‘It’s a complete 180-degree turn,’’ John Zogby, the pollster, said of the apparent
reversal from four years ago.

Still, some Arab-American leaders say the Democratic Party could be squandering a chance
for even more support from Americans of Arab descent and new immigrants from the Middle
East. They say stronger stances against certain aspects of the counterterrorism
legislation, like ‘‘sneak and peek’’ searches without notice, would sway more of the
voters.

Another area of significant contention is Kerry’s stance on the Middle East peace process.
Kerry, in a recent policy paper, struck a harder position in support for Israel’s
construction of security fencing.

‘‘Our community has more confidence in Kerry, but half of them are not confident with
either,’’ said James Zogby, president of the Arab-American In stitute, who is a Kerry
supporter and the pollster’s brother.

At an event held during the Democratic Convention last month in Boston, James Zogby warned
that Kerry’s appeals to Jewish voters could cost him more Arab-American votes in large
swing states than he might gain. He predicted that while Bush might gain more Jewish votes
than he did in 2000 because of his pro-Israel policies and muscular stance against Muslim
terrorists, at the most he would get 30 percent.

Kerry, like Democratic presidential nominees in the past, will still get an overwhelming
majority. So while Kerry may win some additional Jewish votes by being staunchly
pro-Israel, those gains may be undercut by disapproval of Arab-Americans in Michigan,
Florida or other states, Zogby warned.

A sense that Arab-Americans are backing Kerry because they oppose Bush, not because they
are enamored of Kerry, gives Nader some hope.

‘‘If they shift from Bush to Kerry, all they are getting is a new suit of clothes,’’ Nader
said in a recent interview. ‘‘They have the same policies on Iraq, Israel-Palestine, and
the Patriot Act, which are near and dear to them.

‘‘The only other thing they are getting different is a new attorney general. But there is
no guarantee. Profiling Arab-Americans and Muslim Americans and using secret evidence in
immigration cases — they did a lot of those things before 9/11.’’

But Marwan Burgan, a Democratic delegate from Virginia, said that ending John Ashcroft’s
tenure as attorney general would be a significant change to Arab-Americans.

‘‘I can’t get everything I want, but people have to be realistic in politics,’’ Burgan
said. ‘‘There is great difference between Kerry and Bush policies. Kerry wants to
dismantle the Ashcroft Justice Department.’’

The Boston Globe

Copyright © 2004 The International Herald Tribune | www.iht.com
Hanoi Jane Fonda
2004-08-28 05:22:18 UTC
Good news for the DNC! There are new liberal babies on the way!

In Texas, liberal mothers are giving birth to babies without brains at
eight times the nationwide rate - more frequently than anywhere else
in the United States and many Third World nations. Why this is
happening remains a medical mystery.

Liberal Democrats are breeding! Watch Out!
Groupus McPeevey
2004-08-28 05:25:49 UTC
Post by Hanoi Jane Fonda
Good news for the DNC! There are new liberal babies on the way!
In Texas, liberal mothers are giving birth to babies without brains at
eight times the nationwide rate - more frequently than anywhere else
in the United States and many Third World nations. Why this is
happening remains a medical mystery.
Liberal Democrats are breeding! Watch Out!
Good news for Deserter Bush.

***An examination of the Bush military files within the context of US
Statutory
Law, Department of Defense regulations, and Air Force policies and
procedures of that era lead to a single conclusion: George W. Bush was
considered a deserter by the United States Air Force.

http://www.glcq.com/bush_at_arpc1.htm
David Galehouse
2004-08-28 10:21:44 UTC
Post by Hanoi Jane Fonda
Good news for the DNC! There are new liberal babies on the way!
In Texas, liberal mothers are giving birth to babies without brains at
eight times the nationwide rate - more frequently than anywhere else
in the United States and many Third World nations. Why this is
happening remains a medical mystery.
Liberal Democrats are breeding! Watch Out!
And how one of these poor creatures got elected as the 43rd president of the
United States is anyone's guess.
Hanoi Jane Fonda
2004-08-28 11:38:03 UTC
CLINTON FAMILY DEAD FRIENDS LIST!

When you think of DemocRATs, remember Waco, and the 80+ people that
died there. They were evil, and had to be exterminated, or so it
appears. Mothers, children, even pregnant women were cooked, shot, and
those that were in the kitchen's underground storage room were blasted
by bits of concrete injected into the room by a bomb placed on its
roof. Ask yourself this question: When Waco was over, done and the
fires had long since cooled, why did Clinton send in machines to
scrape the ground totally clean of any evidence? The area was fenced
off and then the upper layer of dirt was cut off the ground and carted
away to some secret location. Why? Why did Clinton do this? Why did
he attack an American church with women and children in it?

When you think of DemocRATs, remember clinton's list of the dead. The
list:

CLINTON'S DEAD FRIENDS

(Be sure to look at this very well designed page all about his dead
friends:
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/POLITICS/BODIES.html)

PAUL WILCHER - Attorney investigating corruption at the Mena Airport
with Casolaro and the 1980 "October Surprise". Was found dead on a
toilet June 22, 1993 in his Washington apartment. Had delivered a
report to Janet Reno three weeks before his death.

JON PARNELL WALKER - Whitewater investigator for Resolution Trust
Corp. Jumped to his death from his Arlington, Virginia apartment
balcony August 15, 1993. He was investigating the Morgan Guaranty
scandal.

BARBARA WISE - Commerce Department staffer. Worked closely with Ron
Brown and John Huang. Cause of death unknown. Died November 29, 1996.
Her bruised nude body was found locked in her office at the Department
of Commerce.

CHARLES MEISSNER - Assistant Secretary of Commerce who gave John Huang
special security clearance, died shortly thereafter in a small plane
crash.

Dr. STANLEY HEARD - Chairman of the National Chiropractic Health Care
Advisory Committee, died with his attorney STEVE DICKSON in a small
plane crash. Dr. Heard, in addition to serving on Clinton's advisory
council, personally treated Clinton's mother, stepfather and brother.

BARRY SEAL - Drug-running pilot out of Mena, Arkansas. Death was no
accident.

JOHNNY LAWHORN Jr. - Mechanic, found a check made out to Bill Clinton
in the trunk of a car left at his repair shop. He was found dead after
his car hit a utility pole.

STANLEY HUGGINS - Investigated Madison Guaranty. His death was a
purported suicide and his report was never released.

HERSHELL FRIDAY - Attorney and Clinton fund-raiser. Died March 1, 1994
when his plane exploded.

KEVIN IVES and DON HENRY - known as "The boys on the track" case.
Reports say the boys may have stumbled on the Mena, Arkansas Airport
drug operation. A controversial case, the initial report of death
said, due to falling asleep on railroad track. Later reports claim the
two boys had been slain before being placed on the tracks. Many linked
to the case died before their testimony could come before the Grand
Jury.

The following six persons had information on the Ives / Henry case:

KEITH CONEY - Died when his motorcycle slammed into the back of a
truck, July 1988
KEITH McMASKLE - Died stabbed 113 times, November 1988
GREGORY COLLINS - Died from a gunshot wound, January 1989
JEFF RHODES - He was shot, mutilated and found burned in a trash dump
in April 1989
JAMES MILAN - Found decapitated. However, the coroner ruled his death
was due to natural causes.
JORDAN KETTLESON - Was found shot to death in the front seat of his
pickup truck in June 1990
RICHARD WINTERS - A suspect in the Ives / Henry deaths. He was killed
in a set-up robbery July 1989.

The following Clinton bodyguards are dead:

Major WILLIAM S. BARKLEY Jr.
Captain SCOTT C. REYNOLD
Sgt. BRIAN HANLEY, Sgt.
TIM SABEL
Major General WILLIAM ROBERTSON
Col. WILLIAM DENSBERGER
Col. ROBERT KELLY
Spec. GARY RHODES
STEVE WILLIS
ROBERT WILLIAMS
CONWAY LeBLEU
TODD McKEEHAN

When you think of DemocRATs, just remember one thing: They do not like
free speech.
gaffo
2004-08-28 21:22:42 UTC
Post by Hanoi Jane Fonda
CLINTON FAMILY DEAD FRIENDS LIST!
When you think of DemocRATs, remember Waco, and the 80+ people that
died there. They were evil, and had to be exterminated
exterminated by your hero Koresh.

fool.
--
http://baltimorechronicle.com/041704reTreason.shtml

http://www.truthinaction.net/iraq/illegaljayne.htm

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged.
And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air
-- however slight -lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court (1939-75)

"It shows us that there were senior people in the Bush administration who
were seriously contemplating the use of torture, and trying to figure out
whether there were any legal loopholes that might allow them to commit
criminal acts, They seem to be putting forward a theory that the president
in wartime can essentially do what he wants regardless of what the law
may say,"
Tom Malinowski of Human Rights Watch - commenting upon Defense
Department Lawyer
Will Dunham's 56-page legalization of torture memo.

If you add all of those up, you should have a conservative rebellion against
the giant corporation in the White House masquerading as a human being named
George W. Bush. Just as progressives have been abandoned by the corporate
Democrats and told, "You got nowhere to go other than to stay home or
vote for
the Democrats", this is the fate of the authentic conservatives in the
Republican Party.
Ralph Nader - June 2004 - The American Conservative Magazine

"But I believe in torture and I will torture you."
-An American soldier shares the joys of Democracy with
an Iraqi prisoner.

"My mother praises me for fighting the Americans. If we are killed,
our wives and mothers will rejoice that we died defending the
freedom of our country.
-Iraqi Mahdi fighter

"We were bleeding from 3 a.m. until sunrise, soon American soldiers came.
One of them kicked me to see if I was alive. I pretended I was dead
so he wouldn't kill me. The soldier was laughing, when Yousef cried,
the soldier said: "'No, stop,"
-Shihab, survivor of USSA bombing of Iraqi wedding.

"the absolute convergence of the neoconservatives with the Christian
Zionists
and the pro-Israel lobby, driving U.S. Mideast policy."
-Don Wagner, an evangelical South Carolina minister

"Bush, in Austin, criticized President Clinton's administration for
the Kosovo military action.'Victory means exit strategy, and it's important
for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is,' Bush said."
Houston Chronicle 4/9/99

"Iraqis are sick of foreign people coming in their country and trying to
destabilize their country."
Washington, D.C., May 5, 2004

"The new administration seems to be paying no attention to the problem
of terrorism. What they will do is stagger along until there's a major
incident and then suddenly say, 'Oh my God, shouldn't we be organized
to deal with this?'"
- Paul Bremer, speaking to a McCormick Tribune Foundation conference
on terrorism in Wheaton, Ill. on Feb. 26, 2001.

"On Jan. 26, 1998, President Clinton received a letter imploring him to use
his State of the Union address to make removal of Saddam Hussein's regime
the "aim of American foreign policy" and to use military action because
"diplomacy is failing." Were Clinton to do that, the signers pledged, they
would "offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor."
Signing the pledge were Elliott Abrams, Bill Bennett, John Bolton, Robert
Kagan, William Kristol, Richard Perle, Richard L. Armitage, Jeffrey
Bergner,
Paula Dobriansky, Francis Fukuyama, Zalmay Khalilzad, Peter W. Rodman,
William Schneider, Jr., Vin Weber, R. James Woolsey and Robert B. Zoellick,
Donald Rumsfeld and Paul Wolfowitz. Four years before 9/11, the neocons had
Baghdad on their minds."
-philip (usenet)

"I had better things to do in the 60s than fight in Vietnam,"
-Richard Cheney, Kerry critic.

"I hope they will understand that in order for this government to get up
and running
- to be effective - some of its sovereignty will have to be given
back, if I can put it that way,
or limited by them, It's sovereignty but [some] of that sovereignty they
are going to allow us to exercise
on their behalf and with their permission."
- Powell 4/27/04

"We're trying to explain how things are going, and they are going as they
are going," he said, adding: "Some things are going well and some things
obviously are not going well. You're going to have good days and bad days."
On the road to democracy, this "is one moment, and there will be other
moments. And there will be good moments and there will be less good
moments."
- Rumsfeld 4/6/04

"I also have this belief, strong belief, that freedom is not this
country's gift to the world; freedom is the Almighty's gift to
every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on
the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread
of freedom."
~ Bush the Crusader

RUSSERT: Are you prepared to lose?

BUSH: No, I'm not going to lose.

RUSSERT: If you did, what would you do?

BUSH: Well, I don't plan on losing. I've got a vision for what I want to
do for the country.
See, I know exactly where I want to lead.................And we got
changing times
here in America, too., 2/8/04

"And that's very important for, I think, the people to understand where
I'm coming from,
to know that this is a dangerous world. I wish it wasn't. I'm a war
president.
I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with
war on my mind.
- pResident of the United State of America, 2/8/04

"Let's talk about the nuclear proposition for a minute. We know that
based on intelligence, that he has been very, very good at hiding
these kinds of efforts. He's had years to get good at it and we know
he has been absolutely devoted to trying to acquire nuclear weapons.
And we believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons."
- Vice President Dick Cheney, on "Meet the Press", 3/16/03

"I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the
Iraqis had nuclear weapons."
- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, 6/24/03

"I think in this case international law
stood in the way of doing the right thing (invading Iraq)."
- Richard Perle

"He (Saddam Hussein) has not developed any significant capability with
respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project
conventional power against his neighbours."
- Colin Powell February 24 2001

"We have been successful for the last ten years in keeping
him from developing those weapons and we will continue to be successful."

"He threatens not the United States."

"But I also thought that we had pretty
much removed his stings and frankly for ten years we really have."

'But what is interesting is that with the regime that has been in place
for the past ten years, I think a pretty good job has been done of
keeping him from breaking out and suddenly showing up one day and saying
"look what I got." He hasn't been able to do that.'
- Colin Powell February 26 2001
gaffo
2004-08-28 21:21:14 UTC
Post by Hanoi Jane Fonda
Good news for the DNC! There are new liberal babies on the way!
In Texas, liberal mothers are giving birth to babies without brains at
eight times the nationwide rate - more frequently than anywhere else
in the United States and many Third World nations. Why this is
happening remains a medical mystery.
no - no mystery. Bu$hler's substandard environmental policy allows for
poluting the RioGande Valley by all the factories there.

result is a large number of anacephalic babies.

You can thank the Reichbuglicons for that one chump.

get informed idiot.