Paul O'Neill is angry that the world has passed him by.
HOD
2004-01-12 14:18:09 UTC
Rage of a Relic
Paul O'Neill is angry that the world has passed him by.

Monday, January 12, 2004 12:01 a.m.

I once had dinner with Paul O'Neill, the former Treasury secretary who is
now making headlines with a scathing portrayal of his days in the Bush
administration prior to his firing in December 2002. Bush critics will hail
Mr. O'Neill as a truth-teller, White House aides are already calling him a
back-stabber. In fact, Mr. O'Neill is a relic. The man I broke bread with
was clearly a product of the Nixon and Ford administrations, in which he had
served, and simply hadn't adapted to the post-Reagan Republican Party.
Mr. O'Neill came into the Bush administration on the recommendation of three
old friends from the Ford years: Dick Cheney, Alan Greenspan and Donald
Rumsfeld. Mr. O'Neill, a moderate Republican, quickly discovered that his
friends had changed in the intervening quarter century. He got little
sympathy when he sought them out to express his dissatisfaction with the
conservative tilt of the Bush administration. "The biggest difference
between then and now," Mr. O'Neill told reporter Ron Suskind, "is that our
group was mostly about evidence and analysis, and Karl [Rove], Dick
[Cheney], Karen [Hughes] and the gang seemed to be mostly about politics.
It's a huge distinction."

This analysis reveals either Mr. O'Neill's naiveté or poor memory. Richard
Nixon's was one of the most cold-bloodedly political administrations in
American history, imposing wage and price controls despite overwhelming
economic evidence that they would harm the economy and trundling Henry
Kissinger before TV cameras just before the 1972 election to announce that
"peace was at hand" in Vietnam. The Ford administration adopted gimmicky tax
rebates, passed out silly "Whip Inflation Now" buttons and ruthlessly
squashed the insurgent challenge of Ronald Reagan when he challenged Mr.
Ford in the Republican primaries.

Mr. O'Neill was a fish out of water in the Bush administration. Time
magazine reports that he considered himself, Environmental Protection Agency
administrator Christine Todd Whitman and Secretary of State Colin Powell to
be "three beleaguered souls . . . who shared a more nonideological approach
[but] were used for window dressing." Mr. O'Neill tells Mr. Suskind, the
author of a new book that tells Mr. O'Neill's side of his tour at Treasury,
that the three moderates "may have been there, in large part, as cover" for
the administration's conservative agenda.

But it wouldn't have taken much for Mr. O'Neill to figure out that on issues
his new boss would more resemble Ronald Reagan than Nixon, Ford or the first
George Bush. All he had to do was pay attention to Mr. Bush's record in
Texas and his 2000 campaign. When Mr. O'Neill accepted the job as Treasury
secretary he knew it entailed being a loyal member of a team, dissenting in
private if he disagreed with the president's views.

Instead, Mr. O'Neill early on seemed to become a public spokesman for every
cause except his boss's policies. He questioned the need for a strong
dollar, sending the currency into a nosedive. His tour of Africa with rock
star Bono veered into advocacy for action on AIDS, not exactly a brief of
the Treasury Department. He also emerged as an aggressive advocate of action
on global warming. At the first meeting of the president's cabinet, Mr.
O'Neill passed out copies of a speech he gave in 1998 in which he said that
there were two issues that transcend all others: "One is nuclear holocaust.
. . . The second is environmental: specifically, the issue of global climate
change and the potential of global warming."

Mr. O'Neill was also surprisingly indiscreet. In our dinner conversation he
told me things about his disagreements with the administration that I was
surprised a cabinet officer would reveal. I was impressed by his candor but
not by his wisdom. He was saved from my publishing them only by his offhand
request in the middle of the meal that they be off the record.
After the president's first tax cut became law in mid-2001, Mr. O'Neill also
made clear his antipathy towards further reductions. This was in line with
his past stands: backing the first President Bush's politically and
economically disastrous tax increase of 1990 and lobbying President Clinton
for energy taxes.

His opposition to lowering taxes came to a head after the 2002 midterm
elections, when Republicans scored historic gains in Congress by running, in
part, on the promise of more tax cuts. Mr. O'Neill recalls a meeting with
Dick Cheney, his old chum, in which he quotes the vice president as saying,
"Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the midterm elections,
this is our due."

To Mr. O'Neill this was shocking. He worried about "how to use the nation's
resources to improve the condition of our society" and wanted to explore
reform of Social Security and the tax code instead. He now admits that the
tax cuts he opposed helped spur the "terrific" state of the economy today,
but he says he would have been happy with a little less growth. That's easy
to say now, but a much harder stance to take a year ago when the economy was
still sputtering.

When Mr. O'Neill was pushed out of his post at Treasury he returned home to
Pittsburgh in a huff but nonetheless managed to remain gracious. "I was
never angry with the president," he told a local TV show. "I'm determined
not to say any negative things about the president and the Bush
administration. They have enough to do without having me as a sharpshooter."
That was then and this is now. It now turns out Mr. O'Neill has talked
nearly daily for the last year with Mr. Suskind, a former reporter for The
Wall Street Journal, who has now written a new explosive book on President
Bush's first term. Mr. O'Neill also turned over to Mr. Suskind a
minute-by-minute accounting of his time in office along with CD-ROMs
containing 19,000 pages of documents he took with him from Washington.

Mr. O'Neill may have been a team player during his time in the Nixon and
Ford administrations, but his tenure as the successful head of Alcoa, the
aluminum company, seems to have instilled in him "CEO disease," the
inability for someone who runs a large enterprise to adapt and subordinate a
large ego to the interests of a group.

Far from being a truth-teller, Mr. O'Neill comes across in Mr. Suskind's
book as a vengeful Lone Ranger, someone bitter because his advice was
spurned but who stubbornly chose to stay in the job anyway. "He could have
resigned quietly on principle," one White House aide told me. "Instead we
had to push him out."

Mr. O'Neill may like to see himself as a contemporary Cyrus Vance, who in
1980 left as Jimmy Carter's Secretary of State over principled disagreements
on foreign policy. But instead he resembles Don Regan, the temperamental
White House chief of staff who, after President Reagan fired him, went on to
write a tell-all book embarrassing his old boss with revelations about Nancy
Reagan's fondness for astrologers. The book made Mr. Regan look small and it
didn't do much damage to Mr. Reagan's reputation. The same will be true of
Mr. O'Neill's poison-pen recollections.

Wall Street Journal

begin 666 storyend_dingbat.gif
M1TE&.#=A6 `&`*(``/____[^_OGY^>/CXYJ:FH" @&5E93\_/RP`````6 `&
M```#:"@!#/$MRDGE"N*(?47]8/1 `/<H8_B-;#<8KZ*4F&JWHT(81^__P*!P
MV'L-#KL=<<D<$@:"`6YAHTPA+\+A"!@P/-3J:NH5"PB%M'K-;JL'!:-[3G\Z
4&"2QM48-VV0#<($H>BUE%RH)`#L`
`
end
loaferboss
2004-01-12 15:10:24 UTC
Post by HOD
Rage of a Relic
[...]
Only one problem with this rightwing theory - O'Neill furnished documents to
back it up ... AND we're going into an election year and don't think for a
MINUTE Democrats and the public are gonna ask - why did we go to Iraq, Mr.
Bush - and - how do we know you're telling the truth NOW Mr. Bush, when you
lied so many times before.

When your president, in an official document, says "Didn't we give to the
rich already?" , it sort of undercuts the argument that the tax cuts were
for everyone, not just the wealthy... and that's just ONE little revelation
... :)
HOD
2004-01-12 16:00:45 UTC
Post by loaferboss
Post by HOD
Rage of a Relic
[...]
No question... that would be the 'liberal' way to look at it! The problem is
that folks will need to determine when O'Neill is telling the truth.... two
months before he was fired or after he was fired?
loaferboss
2004-01-12 17:32:30 UTC
Post by HOD
Post by loaferboss
Rage of a Relic
Post by loaferboss
lied so many times before.
When your president, in an official document, says "Didn't we give to the
rich already?" , it sort of undercuts the argument that the tax cuts were
for everyone, not just the wealthy... and that's just ONE little
revelation
No question... that would be the 'liberal' way to look at it! The problem is
that folks will need to determine when O'Neill is telling the truth.... two
months before he was fired or after he was fired?
Oh, he was telling the truth both times - see, it's not as black and white
as you right wingers like to think.

Oh, btw - he also has official White House documents to support his claims -
we're waiting for the BushCo documents that will dispute his claims...
HOD
2004-01-12 17:43:38 UTC
Post by loaferboss
Post by HOD
Post by loaferboss
Rage of a Relic
Post by loaferboss
Post by HOD
Post by loaferboss
Post by HOD
Post by loaferboss
lied so many times before.
When your president, in an official document, says "Didn't we give to the
rich already?" , it sort of undercuts the argument that the tax cuts were
for everyone, not just the wealthy... and that's just ONE little
revelation
No question... that would be the 'liberal' way to look at it! The problem is
that folks will need to determine when O'Neill is telling the truth.... two
months before he was fired or after he was fired?
Oh, he was telling the truth both times - see, it's not as black and white
as you right wingers like to think.
You have proof that he is telling the truth both times... on the one hand
promoting the war in strong terms and on the other denouncing it in strong
terms..... and you say that he is truthful both times! He might very well
have changed his mind but that's not his declaration!... yet!
Post by loaferboss
Oh, btw - he also has official White House documents to support his claims -
we're waiting for the BushCo documents that will dispute his claims...
No dopey, we're waiting to see exactly what silliness these so-called
documents purport!
Let's keep everyhing in proper order!
Ashland Henderson
2004-01-12 18:48:00 UTC
Post by HOD
Post by loaferboss
Rage of a Relic
Post by loaferboss
lied so many times before.
When your president, in an official document, says "Didn't we give to the
rich already?" , it sort of undercuts the argument that the tax cuts were
for everyone, not just the wealthy... and that's just ONE little
revelation
No question... that would be the 'liberal' way to look at it! The problem is
that folks will need to determine when O'Neill is telling the truth.... two
months before he was fired or after he was fired?
Usually more of the truth comes out after being fired when one is no longer
trying to protect one's job and toe the party line.
abracadabra
2004-01-12 17:38:48 UTC
Post by HOD
Rage of a Relic
Paul O'Neill is angry that the world has passed him by.
Monday, January 12, 2004 12:01 a.m.
I once had dinner with Paul O'Neill, the former Treasury secretary who is
now making headlines with a scathing portrayal of his days in the Bush
administration prior to his firing in December 2002. Bush critics will hail
Mr. O'Neill as a truth-teller, White House aides are already calling him a
back-stabber. In fact, Mr. O'Neill is a relic. The man I broke bread with
was clearly a product of the Nixon and Ford administrations, in which he had
served, and simply hadn't adapted to the post-Reagan Republican Party.
Typical of HOD the nitwit, HOD the liar, and HOD the fool - post shit from a
WSJ opinion page and think it means something. The fact is that O'Neil has
publicly given Dubya a painful rectal exam, and that wiggling finger will
continue to stir the WH for a while. Dubya has been revealed as an idiot (we
all knew it, but confirmation is nice) and that the "Iraq War" had nothing
to do with any threat to the USA.

Lets see if it sticks :-)
HOD
2004-01-12 18:24:59 UTC
Post by abracadabra
Rage of a Relic
Post by HOD
was clearly a product of the Nixon and Ford administrations, in which
he
Post by abracadabra
had
Post by HOD
served, and simply hadn't adapted to the post-Reagan Republican Party.
Typical of HOD the nitwit, HOD the liar, and HOD the fool - post shit from a
WSJ opinion page and think it means something.
Thanks for the kind words, serves as confirmation of my impact!

The WSJ means a great deal to alot of folks..... the fact that it deals in
truth irritates you, the fact that the truth it publishes often shines a
light on liberal dishonesty is hard for the lonnies on the left to deal
with... they are reduced to name calling and no more! :-))
Post by abracadabra
The fact is that O'Neil has
publicly given Dubya a painful rectal exam, and that wiggling finger will
continue to stir the WH for a while.
You mention "the fact" and that's my position exactly..... the fact is that
two months before being fired by Bush he was a strong supporter for invading
Iraq.... in fact, he was giving speech's in various city's exclaiming to
America that this war was so important that "whatever the cost, it didn't
matter"..... that's the fact that should be considered when we hear that
this same man is attempting to "back-stab" the administration months after
they abruptly fired him! Shouldn't we all consider these facts when we
process the O'Neill data...... most mature folks will agree with me I
believe!
Post by abracadabra
Dubya has been revealed as an idiot (we
all knew it, but confirmation is nice) and that the "Iraq War" had nothing
to do with any threat to the USA.
Well you'll need to convince many leaders from your own side, and of course
you'll fail there as well. :-))
Post by abracadabra
Lets see if it sticks :-)
Only the truth will stick......................
King Pineapple
2004-01-13 00:34:25 UTC
Post by loaferboss
Only one problem with this rightwing theory - O'Neill furnished documents to
back it up ...
Really? How do YOU know what the documents really were?

Laurie Mylroie sent out an email about Paul O'Neill's appearance on 60
Minutes last night; she notes what appears to be a major error in Ron
Suskind's book, which casts doubt on the credibility of both Suskind and
O'Neill. Here is the key portion of Mylroie's email:

"In his appearance this evening on '60 Minutes,' Ron Suskind, author of The
Price of Loyalty, based to a large extent on information from former
Secretary of the Treasury Paul O'Neill, made an astonishing, very serious
misstatement.

"Suskind claimed he has documents showing that preparations for the Iraq war
were well underway before 9-11. He cited--and even showed--what he said was
a Pentagon document, entitled, 'Foreign Suitors for Iraq Oilfield
Contracts.' He claimed the document was about planning for post-war Iraq oil
(CBS's promotional story also contained that claim):
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/09/60minutes/printable592330.shtml

"But that is not a Pentagon document. It's from the Vice-President's Office.
It was part of the Energy Project that was the focus of Dick Cheney's
attention before the 9/11 strikes.

"And the document has nothing to do with post-war Iraq. It was part of a
study of global oil supplies. Judicial Watch obtained it in a law suit and
posted it, along with related documents, on its website at:
http://www.judicialwatch.org/071703.c_.shtml Indeed, when this story first
broke yesterday, the Drudge Report had the Judicial Watch document linked
(no one at CBS News saw that, so they could correct the error, when the show
aired?)"

What Mylroie says about the "Foreign Suitors" document is correct. The
Judicial Watch link still works as of this morning, and as you can easily
see, the document, dated March 5, 2001, has nothing to do with post-war
planning. It is merely a list of existing and proposed "Iraqi Oil & Gas
Projects" as of that date. And it includes projects in Iraq by countries
that obviously would not have been part of any "post-war" plans of the Bush
administration, such as, for example, Vietnam.

So Suskind (and apparently O'Neill) misrepresented this document, which
appears to be a significant part of their case, given that Suskind displayed
in on 60 Minutes. It would not be possible for anyone operating in good
faith to represent the document as Suskind did.

But the truth is even worse than Mylroie pointed out in her email. The CBS
promo linked to above says that this document "includes a map of potential
areas for exploration. 'It talks about contractors around the world from,
you know, 30-40 countries. And which ones have what intentions,' says
Suskind. 'On oil in Iraq.'"

True enough; there is a "map of potential areas for exploration" in Iraq
here. But what Paul O'Neill and Ron Suskind don't tell you is that the very
same set of documents that contain the Iraq map and the list of Iraqi oil
projects contain the same maps and similar lists of projects for the United
Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia! When documents are produced in litigation
(in this case, the Judicial Watch lawsuit relating to Cheney's energy task
force), they are numbered sequentially. The two-page "Iraqi Oil Suitors"
document that Suskind breathlessly touts is numbered DOC044-0006 through
DOC044-0007. The Iraq oil map comes right before the list of Iraqi projects;
it is numbered DOC044-0005.

DOC044-0001 is a map of oil fields in the United Arab Emirates. DOC044-0002
is a list of oil and gas development projects then going on in the United
Arab Emirates. DOC044-0003 is a map of oil fields in Saudi Arabia.
DOC044-0004 is a list of oil and gas projects in Saudi Arabia. So the
"smoking gun" documents that Suskind and O'Neill claim prove that the
administration was planning to invade Iraq in March 2001 are part of a
package that includes identical documents relating to the United Arab
Emirates and Saudi Arabia. Does Paul O'Neill claim the administration was
planning on invading them, too? Or, as Mylroie says, was this merely part of
the administration's analysis of sources of energy in the 21st century?

There is only one possible conclusion: Paul O'Neill and Ron Suskind are
attempting to perpetrate a massive hoax on the American people.

"You can change the outcome of any election you want" -Bill Clinton
Dan
2004-01-12 16:55:34 UTC
Predictable hatchet-job by the right-wing WSJ. I don't see where it
contradicts the transcripts that contain statements damning this
administration, nor where it contradicts his assertion, and memos, flat-out
stating that the Iraq war was the first thing on this administration's mind
(8 months before 9/11). This is just a personally-directed hatchet-job by
the right-wing, and a pretty pathetic one at that. Can't attack the message?
No problem, attack the messenger. It's the right-wing MO, over and over and
over and over...
Rage of a Relic
Wall Street Journal
loaferboss
2004-01-12 17:29:33 UTC
Post by Dan
Predictable hatchet-job by the right-wing WSJ. I don't see where it
contradicts the transcripts that contain statements damning this
administration, nor where it contradicts his assertion, and memos, flat-out
stating that the Iraq war was the first thing on this administration's mind
(8 months before 9/11). This is just a personally-directed hatchet-job by
the right-wing, and a pretty pathetic one at that. Can't attack the message?
No problem, attack the messenger. It's the right-wing MO, over and over and
over and over...
Yep - just like with Wilson, Ritter, etc. - personally they're also
beginning to come across as paranoid, too. Everyone is evil, with an x to
grind, etc. ... very paranoid.
Post by Dan
Rage of a Relic
Wall Street Journal
HOD
2004-01-12 18:00:39 UTC
Post by loaferboss
Post by Dan
Predictable hatchet-job by the right-wing WSJ. I don't see where it
contradicts the transcripts that contain statements damning this
administration, nor where it contradicts his assertion, and memos, flat-out
stating that the Iraq war was the first thing on this administration's mind
(8 months before 9/11). This is just a personally-directed hatchet-job by
the right-wing, and a pretty pathetic one at that. Can't attack the message?
No problem, attack the messenger. It's the right-wing MO, over and over and
over and over...
Yep - just like with Wilson, Ritter, etc. - personally they're also
beginning to come across as paranoid, too. Everyone is evil, with an x to
grind, etc. ... very paranoid.
You girls will do much better if you just deal with the facts and leave the
liberal emotions and "I'm the victim mind-set" out of it!
loaferboss
2004-01-12 20:07:24 UTC
Post by Dan
Post by loaferboss
Post by Dan
over and over...
Yep - just like with Wilson, Ritter, etc. - personally they're also
beginning to come across as paranoid, too. Everyone is evil, with an x to
grind, etc. ... very paranoid.
You girls will do much better if you just deal with the facts and leave the
liberal emotions and "I'm the victim mind-set" out of it!
Perhaps you misunderstood - listen to the right-wing chatter today - it's
all about how poor ol W is the victim of a disgruntled former employee.
That's the way Rove operates: "we're victims of evil people".
SNORT - they're the victims of their own greed and ambitions.
HOD
2004-01-12 17:54:20 UTC
Post by Dan
Predictable hatchet-job by the right-wing WSJ. I don't see where it
contradicts the transcripts that contain statements damning this
administration, nor where it contradicts his assertion, and memos, flat-out
stating that the Iraq war was the first thing on this administration's mind
(8 months before 9/11).
You moron, of course Iraq was on the administrations mind... it would be
completely ridiculous if this wasn't the case...
Iraq was on most sound minds in leadership long before 9/11, long before
Bush came to office, long before Clinton came to office.... O'Neill's
revelation is at best a confirmation of belief without importance!

I'll wait and review those so-called "damming" statements before I express
my opinion. Of course you won't.... but you're only a liberal.............
Post by Dan
This is just a personally-directed hatchet-job by
the right-wing, and a pretty pathetic one at that. Can't attack the message?
No problem, attack the messenger. It's the right-wing MO, over and over and
over and over...
Nope, just an intelligent reminder that we should always gather as many
facts as practical before we 'burn the witch'!
Liberals don't like this approach because "truth and facts" have never been
a friend to the liberal mind-set!
:-))
Post by Dan
Rage of a Relic
Post by HOD
for energy taxes.
His opposition to lowering taxes came to a head after the 2002 midterm
elections, when Republicans scored historic gains in Congress by
running,
Post by Dan
in
Post by HOD
Reagan's fondness for astrologers. The book made Mr. Regan look small
and
Post by Dan
it
Wall Street Journal
Dan
2004-01-12 19:28:45 UTC
Post by Dan
(8 months before 9/11).
You moron, of course Iraq was on the administrations mind... it would be
completely ridiculous if this wasn't the case...
Iraq was on most sound minds in leadership long before 9/11, long before
Bush came to office, long before Clinton came to office.... O'Neill's
revelation is at best a confirmation of belief without importance!
I'll wait and review those so-called "damming" statements before I express
my opinion. Of course you won't.... but you're only a liberal.............
There's a difference between "being on their mind" and planning. They were
planning for war as soon as they got into office, after Bush saying in the
debates that he didn't want to get involved in "nation-building." So he lied
in the debates. And every action this administration did, everything they
said, linked attacking Iraq to the post-9/11 world, when in fact, they were
planning on it all along. Another lie. A really big lie.
Post by Dan
over and over...
Nope, just an intelligent reminder that we should always gather as many
facts as practical before we 'burn the witch'!
Liberals don't like this approach because "truth and facts" have never been
a friend to the liberal mind-set!
:-))
Umm, the hatchet-job article doesn't address gathering facts, it attacks
O'Neill. did you already forget what the article contained? Sheesh.

The only time you right-wingers aren't attacking the messenger is when
you're hysterically Coulter-style blathering on about liberals this,
liberals that, without actually saying anything. It's like your brain is on
auto-pilot issuing meaningless, cliched, dittohead rantings.
Post by Dan
Post by Dan
Rage of a Relic
Post by Dan
Post by Dan
Post by HOD
for energy taxes.
His opposition to lowering taxes came to a head after the 2002 midterm
elections, when Republicans scored historic gains in Congress by
running,
Post by Dan
in
Post by Dan
Post by HOD
Reagan's fondness for astrologers. The book made Mr. Regan look small
and
Post by Dan
it
Post by HOD
didn't do much damage to Mr. Reagan's reputation. The same will be
true
Post by Dan
of
Wall Street Journal
King Pineapple
2004-01-13 00:35:16 UTC
Post by Dan
[...]

"You should have learned by now that you're incapable of understanding my
posts"- DNC Doofus Gary Ott
Bloom,Leopold
2004-01-12 17:57:47 UTC
Post by HOD
Rage of a Relic
Paul O'Neill is angry that the world has passed him by.
Monday, January 12, 2004 12:01 a.m.
I once had dinner with Paul O'Neill, the former Treasury secretary who is
now making headlines with a scathing portrayal of his days in the Bush
administration prior to his firing in December 2002.
Interesting posting. Of course, it fails to answer the questions:

1. If the guy is such a loser, why was he hired on President Cheney
and Karl Rove's recommendation?
2. There is ample evidence that the Iraq war was planned well before
9/11 2001, in fact, I have comments from these guys as far back as
1999. Is there any evidence that the war in Iraq had any logical
connection to the public statements of the Cheney-Lay administration?
3. There is ample evidence Cheerleader-in-Chief Georgie-Boy Bush
Junior is a moron, dating way back to his Ken Lay financed career in
the oil industry. Is there any evidence he is not a moron?

In short, the writer makes a series of comments without ever
addressing the argument made by Mr. O'Neill, and I wonder why? And
the comments themselves are the usual empty ad homonims the dittoheads
usually use.

Kinda interesting. It's the sort of posting that leads me to believe
the charges are true, but I have to say, I've KNOWN these charges were
true as early as 1999.
Dickmcb
2004-01-12 19:09:23 UTC
Post by Bloom,Leopold
Post by HOD
Rage of a Relic
[...]
*************************************
Gee, I wish the world would "pass me by" the way it has done to Paul
O'Neill, multi- millionaire, probably has a couple million a year in
retirement, beautiful homes, expensive cars, probably a yacht or two, kids
in Harvard or Yale, trips to Europe or around the world if he wants, yep,
wish I was passed by like him.
Mr. Obvious
2004-01-13 02:02:27 UTC
Post by HOD
Rage of a Relic
[...]
Ah yes, the Right Wing Daily Bible says it's so, so it must be...