Did Kerry REALLY join the Navy to fight
Charlie D.
2004-09-27 00:04:06 UTC
In a June 15, 2003 article "A privileged youth, a taste for risk", the
favored Boston Globe reporters wrote: ...As graduation approached,
Kerry knew that he had three choices: be drafted, seek a deferment for
graduate school, or join up and position himself to become an officer.
``It was clear to me that I was going to be at risk,'' Kerry recalled.
``My draft board . . . said, `Look, the likelihood is you are probably
going to be drafted.' I said, `If I'm going to be drafted, I'd like to
have responsibility and be an officer.'

Kerry also had political ambitions -- and was aware of how much
military service had served John Kennedy's career. ``John would
clearly say, `If I could make my dream come true, it would be running
for president of the United States,' '' recalled William Stanberry,
Kerry's debate team partner for three years. ``It was not a casual
interest. It was a serious, stated interest. His lifetime ambition was
to be in political office.''

Sen. Kerry successfully joined the naval reserves. The Navy was the
best bet if you had to serve. The Viet Cong had no Navy and the North
Koreans had only a few small ships. At the time Sen. Kerry joined the
naval reserve there wasn’t much chance of being in combat.

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Enlistment_Contract.pdf

Sen. Kerry was activated into the Navy. President Bush’s unit was
never activated, but could have been.

John Kerry's first year of duty, from June 1967 to June 1968, was
spent aboard the USS Gridley, a guided -missile frigate. During this
year, Kerry experienced no combat. His assignment on board the Gridley
is, however, the basis on which Kerry claims to have served "two
tours" in Vietnam. From June 1967 to November 1967.

In an interview with New York Times, April 23, 1971, "An Angry War
Veteran", Kerry stated "I wanted to go back and see for myself what
was going on, but I didn't really want to get involved in the war." So
late in 1968 he volunteered for an assignment on "swift boats" - the
short, fast aluminum craft that were then used for patrol duty off the
coast of Viet Nam."

Kerry also admitted the same to the Boston Globe, "Kerry initially
hoped to continue his service at a relatively safe distance from most
fighting, securing an assignment as "swift boat" skipper. While the
50-foot swift boats cruised the Vietnamese coast a little closer to
the action than the Gridley had come, they were still considered
relatively safe. "I didn't really want to get involved in the war,"
Kerry said in a little-noticed contribution to a book of Vietnam
reminiscences published in 1986. "When I signed up for the swift
boats, they had very little to do with the war. They were engaged in
coastal patrolling and that's what I thought I was going to be doing."

Two weeks after he arrived in Vietnam, the swift boat mission changed
-- and Kerry went from having one of the safest assignments in the
escalating conflict to one of the most dangerous. Under the newly
launched Operation SEALORD, swift boats were charged with patrolling
the narrow waterways of the Mekong Delta to draw fire and smoke out
the enemy. Cruising inlets and coves and canals, swift boats were
especially vulnerable targets."
ShoNuff
2004-09-27 01:16:48 UTC
Kerry joined the Navy during war time specifically so he could fulfill his
dream of being the second JFK.

He joined the Navy, got assigned to a small boat, and put himself in various
situations where he could become a "hero" and sustain some minor injuries,
get 3 purple hearts, and come home early as a hero. He is convinced that he
is THE ONE to be the next JFK and everything in his life has been his
attempt to be just like Kennedy was.

Perhaps, had he not acted like such a jackass in his war protests he might
have a good chance. But, every right thinking veteran in the nation is
upset with him for bringing shame on all the Vietnam vets.

He is, at best, a shallow, empty shell of a Kennedy wannabe. Pray he doe
NOT win so we can contuinue to take the fight TO the terrorists rather than
letting them bring it here.
Howard _
2004-09-27 01:44:03 UTC
Did Kerry REALLY join the Navy to fight?
No.

**************************

Rules to be a Lefty

#1 Lying is OK
#2 Never admit you lie
#3 Other peoples money is rightfully yours
#4 The environment is as fragile as tulip
#5 Never miss a chance to hate
#6 Diversity is only skin deep
#7 Call people who question you names, such as, dumb, stupid or ignorant
#8 Killing a baby is OK, killing a murderer is wrong
#9 World peace can be achieved through appeasement
#10 When in doubt, always, ALWAYS, refer to rule #1

**************************

Rules for the Elite Lefty

A. Its OK to impersonate others to further the political agenda of the left
B. Feel free to take others creativity and change it and claim it for your
own
C. Use forged documents when necessary*
D. It is ok to use normally protected racial or sexual slurs to smear
opponents
E. Give your underlings catchy phrases like "alternative media" and
"neo-con" to use in ad-hominem attacks, it makes attacking fun and easy.

*This rule is under review and may be revised.

**************************

Reasons leftys will use when they lose in November

1. Ralph Nader
2. Rigged voting machines
3. Tony Blair
4. Insufficient campaign dollars
5. Slanted press
6. Short primary season
7. Unfair debate rules
8. Bad economy
9. U.S. Voters incapable of nuance
10. Republican dirty tricks
11. Dan Rather
12. Bad weather on election day
13. Good weather
14. Kerry's cold in September
15. Swift boat veterans
16. Sumner Redstone
17. Janet and/or Michael Jackson
18. Hurricanes
19. Bill Burkett
20. Low voter turnout
21. Rush Limbaugh
22. The phases of the moon
23. Shuttle Columbia crash
24. Balloon release trouble at Dem convention
25. Bloggers exposed CBS story after Dems already jumped on it
26. Deaniacs didn't come on board until too late
27. Mary Beth Cahill screwed up Kerry's campaign
28. TV networks didn't televise enough of the Dem National Convention
29. Kerry peaked too quickly
30. Edwards makes Kerry look dull by comparison
31. 9-11 Commission blamed Clinton and Bush equally
32. The Internet
33. Failer to "Get out their message"
34. Sabotage by Billery
35. Fox News
36. The economic recovery
37. Kerry was too far to the right
38. Kerry was too far to the left
39. Kerry was too centrist
Bill
2004-09-27 14:34:12 UTC
Why don't these Bush acolytes get off ancient history smear stories and
spend time on current issues? Are they afraid current issues like the Iraq
war are too damaging to Bush?
--
Bill