DRAFT on its way back... (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163)
Rich
2004-06-09 16:26:09 UTC
There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and
HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at
early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/alert?alertid=5834001&content_dir=ua_congressorg
Righteous Dan
2004-06-11 21:35:01 UTC
Ohhh Ohhhh, It doesn't look good for you does it???
registered user
2004-07-20 15:49:13 UTC
I read both drafts. The House draft really sucks, but the Senate
draft isn't too bad. As military veteran the plan isn't bad. Most
young people that I talk to these days have no national pride or
commitment. How else will they get it? Two years is not a life time
and if they go to college, they get out of it. It forces people to do
something with them selves other then sit on their ass and suck from
the intitlement programs or Mom & Dad. They will become more
enlightened on other people, their views and lifestyles. It gets them
out of the hole they live in. Which, for those not furthering their
education is a huge help. If they serve 4 years, they get a free
education!! That alone is worth it. The worst is they become better
people, more informed, and enriched from the experience.

It's just the whiners that are afraid of commetment that are
complaining.
Nat
2004-07-22 01:23:15 UTC
I can just picture the leftists scurrying off to Canada.
cc0301368
2004-07-23 01:35:51 UTC
Post by Rich
early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election.
I can just picture the leftists scurrying off to Canada.
Oh, you mean like Kerry?
Or can you picture children of wealthy families getting out of combat
service through family connections?

Let's face it. The draft is not such a bad idea as long a we have
leadership that will favor diplomacy over war. We need leadership that will
conduct a respectable foreign policy, and lead the nation as an example for
other civilized nations to follow.

Here is a paragraph from George Washington's farewell address to the nation.
Somehow I doubt Bush has read it:

"In the execution of such a plan nothing is more essential than that
permanent, inveterate antipathies against particular nations and passionate
attachments for others should be excluded, and that in place of them just
and amicable feelings toward all should be cultivated. The nation which
indulges toward another an habitual hatred or an habitual fondness is in
some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection,
either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its
interest. Antipathy in one nation against another disposes each more readily
to offer insult and injury, to lay hold of slight causes of umbrage, and to
be haughty and intractable when accidental or trifling occasions of dispute
occur."