How good is Palin doing in her interviews? "She should step down", says Repub columnist
unknown
2008-09-26 23:36:56 UTC
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080926/en_afp/usvotepalinmedia

Palin gets media savaging after faltering interview

by Jitendra Joshi

Republican running mate Sarah Palin, after again laying claim to
foreign policy expertise because Alaska is near Russia, suffered a
media roasting Friday with one conservative calling on her to quit.

Pro-Republican columnist Kathleen Parker, writing in the National
Review, said the Alaska governor was now such an embarrassment to the
party that she should step down as John McCain's vice presidential
nominee.

"Palin's recent interviews with Charles Gibson (ABC News), Sean
Hannity (Fox News) and now Katie Couric have all revealed an
attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her
League," Parker said.

In her third session with a television interviewer, this time with CBS
News anchor Couric, Palin struggled to offer examples of McCain's
claim to regulatory zeal at a time when Wall Street is reeling from
financial crisis.

In the interview, which aired in two parts on Wednesday and Thursday
nights, Palin also said that US forces had already secured "victory"
in Iraq, a bolder assertion than McCain himself has offered.

Pressed on why Alaska's geographic location enhanced her world
knowledge, Palin said: "Well, it certainly does, because our, our
next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I
am the executive of."

She said that when Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin "rears his
head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America,
where do they go? It's Alaska."

"It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is
being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are
right next to, they are right next to our state," Palin added.

The socially conservative governor, whose polling boost to McCain
appears to be flagging, also said the US economy could be staring at
another "Great Depression" -- which McCain backed away from in his own
interview with Couric.

Asked to give examples of legislative action taken by McCain that
could have headed off the current financial crisis, Palin pointed to
his call two years ago to rein in the bailed-out mortgage giants
Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.

Couric, noting that McCain had been in Congress for 26 years, pushed
Palin for further examples. "I'll try to find you some and I'll bring
them to you," the Republican running mate said.

Baltimore Sun television critic David Zurawik contrasted Palin's
interview with Couric to McCain's no-show on another CBS program,
"Late Show with David Letterman."

McCain cried off a scheduled appearance in New York with the acerbic
funnyman, citing his urgent need to return to Washington to attend
talks in Congress on an enormous economic bailout package.

But Letterman cut to a studio shot of McCain getting face powder
applied at the very same time for his own interview with Couric, and
then mercilessly poked fun at the Republican during the rest of his
show.

Zurawik said that "between the two (TV appearances), it looks like
some serious damage might have been done to the GOP (Grand Old
Party/Republican) ticket."

The Boston Globe opined: "The honeymoon is over for Sarah Palin.

"After a third major TV interview during which her performance was
uneven at best, even fellow Republicans are having trouble
enthusiastically backing their vice presidential nominee," it said.

Palin wowed the conservative base when she was selected by McCain four
weeks ago, but a new CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey suggests that
49 percent of voters believe she lacks the leadership qualities
required in a president.

The McCain campaign has kept Palin largely sequestered from the media,
and several conservative writers had attacked Gibson for adopting a
prosecutorial tone in the governor's debut national interview with
ABC.

But in the National Review, Parker wrote that Palin had betrayed
insufficient knowledge of economics or foreign policy to show that she
was ready to step up should something befall the 72-year-old McCain.

"As we've seen and heard more from John McCain's running mate, it is
increasingly clear that Palin is a problem," she said.
Big J
2008-09-27 02:25:01 UTC
Post by unknown
[...]
And even with this, I bet a lot of conservatives are still in denial that
she's unfit for the position....it's the fault of the liberal media.

Yeah, that's it....the liberal media....it's their fault!

Even though this columnist is pro-republican. Even though Laura Bush said
Palin doesn't know shit about foreign policy.

Big J

-----