Kerry: Greenspan Warning Is Wake-Up Call
Ron
2004-08-28 04:29:39 UTC
Kerry: Greenspan Warning Is Wake-Up Call
Friday, August 27, 2004
By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&u=/ap/20040828/ap_on_el_pr/kerry&printer=1

SAN FRANCISCO - Democrat John Kerry's presidential campaign said Friday that Federal
Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan's warning of a looming crisis for Social Security and
Medicare should be a wake-up call that President Bush's economic policies have failed.

Kerry spokeswoman Allison Dobson said Bush has driven up deficits that have put Social
Security in danger.

"Instead of making tough choices, George Bush squandered the budget surplus on tax breaks
for the wealthiest Americans that dug us deep into deficits and cost taxpayers more than
three times as much as it would have taken to save Social Security for generations to
come," Dobson said as Kerry campaigned for votes and dollars in the Bay Area.

Earlier in the day, Greenspan said during a speech in Jackson, Wyo., that the government
can not deliver on its benefit promises even under the most optimistic economic
assumptions on growth and productivity. He urged Congress to quickly trim Social Security
and Medicare benefits for the baby boom generation.

Kerry has rejected the idea of cutting benefits. Kerry's position is that he can grow the
economy, and that will pay for the increasing number of retirees.

"I guarantee you the first best thing to do with Social Security is to put America back to
work in better paying jobs than the ones that went overseas," Kerry said at a town hall
meeting Friday evening in Everett, Wash.

Bush favors giving younger workers the option of putting part of their payroll tax into
personal retirement accounts. Kerry opposes the plan for partial privatization.

Kerry is planning to take time off from campaigning next week during the Republican
National Convention at his family home on Nantucket. But with election day approaching, he
had a full day of events Friday with an eye on the calendar.

"Sixty-seven days," Kerry said in Everett. "There are less days between now and the
election than there are between the election and the inauguration. This clock is ticking."

Earlier, Kerry spoke to voters at a town hall meeting at a high school gymnasium in Daly
City, Calif. He said Bush has neglected the middle class and he promised to curb credit
card fees and protect home buyers and military families from unfair lending practices.

Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt said, "John Kerry's campaign of pessimism is intent
on talking down our economy and ignores the challenges and progress we have made."

Kerry also spoke at a luncheon fund-raiser in San Francisco that brought in $3 million for
the Democratic presidential fund. He was attending a Friday night fund-raiser in Seattle
expected to raise another $1.5 million, said his spokesman David Wade.
Hanoi Jane Fonda
2004-08-28 05:16:19 UTC
AN APOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Author unknown - sentiment shared.)

For good and ill, the Iraqi prisoner abuse mess will remain an issue.
On the one hand, right thinking Americans will abhor the stupidity of
the actions while on the other hand, political glee will take control
and fashion this minor event into some modern day Mai Lai massacre.

I heard some Arabs and Muslims are asking for an apology. I humbly
offer mine here:

I am sorry that the last seven times we Americans took up arms and
sacrificed the blood of our youth, it was in the defense of Muslims
(Bosnia, Kosovo, Gulf War 1, Kuwait, etc..)

I am sorry that no such call for an apology upon the extremists came
after 9/11. I am sorry that all of the murderers on 9/11 were Islamic
Arabs.

I am sorry that most Arabs and Muslims have to live in squalor under
savage dictatorships. I am sorry that their leaders squander their
wealth. I am sorry that their governments breed hate for the US in
their religious schools, mosques, and government-controlled media.

I am sorry that Yasir Arafat was kicked out of every Arab country and
highjacked the Palestinian "cause." I am sorry that no other Arab
country will take in or offer more than a token amount of financial
help to those same Palestinians.

I am sorry that the USA has to step in and be the biggest financial
supporter of poverty stricken Arabs while the insanely wealthy Arabs
blame the USA for all their problems.

I am sorry that our own left wing elite, our media, and our own
brainwashed (from elements of our society like radical professors, CNN
and the NY TIMES) masses do not understand any of this. I am sorry
the United Nations scammed the poor people of Iraq out of the "food
for oil" money so they could get rich while the common folk suffered.

I am sorry that some Arab governments pay the families of homicide
bombers upon their death. I am sorry that those same bombers are
brainwashed thinking they will receive 72 virgins in "paradise."

I am sorry that the homicide bombers think pregnant women, babies,
children, the elderly and other noncombatant civilians are a
legitimate targets.

I am sorry that our troops die to free more Arabs from the gang rape
rooms and the filling of mass graves of dissidents of their own
making.

I am sorry that Muslim extremists have killed more Arabs than any
other group.

I am sorry that foreign trained terrorists are trying to seize control
of Iraq and return it to a terrorist state. I am sorry we don't drop
a few dozen Daisy cutters on Fallujah.

I am sorry every time terrorists hide they find a convenient "Holy
Site." I am sorry they didn't apologize for driving a jet into the
World Trade Center that collapsed and severely damaged Saint Nicholas
Greek Orthodox Church - one of our Holy Sites.

I am sorry they didn't apologize for flight 93 and 175, the USS Cole,
the embassy bombings, the murders and beheadings of Nick Berg and
Daniel Pearl, etc....etc!

I am sorry Michael Moore is American; he could feed a medium sized
village in Africa.

America will get past this latest absurdity. We will punish those
responsible because that is what we do. We hang out our dirty laundry
for all the world to see. We move on. That's one of the reasons we
are hated so much. We don't hide this stuff like all those Arab
countries that are now demanding an apology.

Deep down inside, when most Americans saw this reported in the news,
we were like - so what? We lost hundreds and made fun of a few
prisoners.

Sure, it was wrong, sure, it dramatically hurts our cause, but until
captured we were trying to kill these same prisoners. Now we're
supposed to wring our hands because a few were humiliated? Our
compassion is tempered with the vivid memories of our own people
killed, mutilated and burnt amongst a joyous crowd of celebrating
Fallujans.

If you want an apology from this American, you're going to have a long
wait. You have a better chance of finding those 72 virgins.

If you are "sorry" also, pass it on!
Hanoi Jane Fonda
2004-08-28 05:24:58 UTC
Liberals are like Monkeys at the zoo!

Liberals are fun to watch because they are like the monkeys at the
zoo, always hurling their crap all over the place when you get them
excited.