Bush urged to drop ad mentioning Olympics
Ron
2004-08-28 04:30:49 UTC
Bush urged to drop ad mentioning Olympics
~~article_author~~ Reuters
Friday, August 27, 2004

ATHENS Calls of "cut it out" and "give it back" competed with a hot United States vs.
China medals race on Thursday as the Olympic Games entered their final days with 80 or so
medals still to be won.

The U.S. Olympic Committee asked President George W. Bush's re-election campaign to pull a
television ad that refers to the Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee said.

The ad, extolling the return of Afghanistan and Iraq to the Games courtesy of U.S.
military intervention, angered Olympic officials because they felt that it hijacked the
Olympic brand.

"We own the rights to the Olympic name and nobody asked us," Gerhard Heiberg, the IOC
marketing chief said. The Bush campaign said Thursday that it had no intention of stopping
the ads. They will continue to air through Sunday as originally planned, the Bush-Cheney
spokesman Scott Stanzel said.

"We are on firm legal ground to mention the Olympics to make a factual point in a
political advertisement," he said.

Drugs stubbornly dogged the Games, with the Ukrainian women's rowing team losing a bronze
medal and another weightlifter barred.

But the Greek gold medal winner Fania Halkia complained after an ecstatic win in the
400-meter hurdles that the media was obsessed with doping, and the Russian shot-putter
Irina Korzhanenko flatly refused to give back the Olympic gold she lost after a drug test
that she insisted was erroneous.

"I'm not going to give the gold medal back because I'm not guilty of anything," she told
Izvestia newspaper on Thursday. "I'm 100, 200 percent sure that I'm innocent."

One Russian official called her actions "ugly" and "stupid."

With many eyes on China's rising pile of gold, the Chinese tried to cool the overheated
hyperbole at home, forecasting a late Russian medals surge to second place behind the
United States, when the total medals are unofficially tallied Sunday night.

"The risk of China not being able to hold on to second place is very great," Xiao Tian, a
Chinese Olympic Committee vice president said.

Russia climbed to fifth in the medal count after a bad start, with 14 golds. Australia has
16, Japan 15 and China 24, one behind the United States.

Xiao calculated that of the more than 80 gold medals still to be awarded before the end of
the Games on Sunday, China had solid chances at only two more titles, men's and women's
diving.

"We do not make gold medals the be-all and end-all of the Olympics and to do so goes
against the guiding spirit of the Olympic movement," he said in a bid to dampen
expectations.

A white Zimbabwean swimmer was hailed as a "golden girl" by President Robert Mugabe after
winning all three of the country's medals so far. Kirsty Coventry got a red carpet welcome
at the Harare airport to the sound of African drums.

Mugabe, who frequently makes headlines for his tough stance toward Zimbabwe's white
minority, presented her with $50,000 and a diplomatic passport. Ukraine lost its medal
after crew member Olena Olefirenko tested positive for a prohibited stimulant. The crew
appeared to have fallen afoul on a prescription from its own team doctor.

The weightlifter Zoltan Kovacs was the second Hungarian to be expelled from the Games
after refusing to take a dope test, joining discus thrower Robert Fazekas, who was
stripped of his gold for trying to cheat on a sample.

Hailed by one Greek tabloid as a "winged goddess," Halkia, who won by a country mile on
Wednesday, sparked nationwide jubilation, but there were questions about her startlingly
improved form. Barraged by questions, she asked, "Why do people want to give a negative
impression of sports?"

All of Greece groaned when the national sprint heroes Costas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou
withdrew without racing after failing to take drug tests a day before the Games began on
Aug. 13.

But Halkia said: "They were put against the wall, there was a firing squad. People
imagined the wildest things."

Copyright © 2004 The International Herald Tribune | www.iht.com
Hanoi Jane Fonda
2004-08-28 05:20:30 UTC
How do you tell the difference between Liberals, Conservatives and
Southerners?

Pose the following question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small
children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking liberal with a huge knife
comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities,
raises the knife, and charges. You are carrying a Glock .40, and you
are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before the liberal reaches
you and your family. What do you do?

Liberal's Stupid Answer: Well, that's not enough information to answer
the question! Does the man look poor or oppressed? Have I ever done
anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away?
What does my wife think? What about the kids? Could I possibly swing
the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the
law say about this situation? Does the Glock have an appropriate
safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what
kind of message does this send to society and to my children? Is it
possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want
to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were to grab
his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing
me? Should I call 9-1-1? Why is this street so deserted? We need to
raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier,
healthier street that would discourage such behavior. This is all so
confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and
try to come to a consensus.

Conservative Answer: BANG!

Southerner's Answer: BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG! click...(sounds of reloading). Wife: "Sweetheart, he looks like
he's still moving...What do you kids think?"
Son: "Mom's right Dad, I saw it, too." BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click. Daughter: "Nice group, Daddy! Were
those the Winchester Silver Tips?"