Reality check on swift boat debate
Ron
2004-08-28 04:29:57 UTC
Reality check on swift boat debate
Lack of documented proof hasn't stopped critics from questioning John Kerry’s medals

By Lisa Myers and the NBC Investigative Unit
Updated: 7:40 p.m. ET Aug. 27, 2004

After a month of charges and countercharges about John Kerry's record in Vietnam, his
critics have not come up with documented proof to back up their primary charges. It's a
tangled case of conflicting memories, and lingering questions.

There's a new challenge from Adm. William Schachte (USN, ret.), who contributed to two
Bush campaigns. Schachte raises questions about Kerry's first Purple Heart.

"I was in command of those missions and I was in the boat that night," he says.

In an interview with NBC News, Schachte claims Kerry was not wounded in combat, but
accidentally hurt himself when he fired a grenade launcher too close to the boat and a
piece of shrapnel came back and hit his arm.

"I'm saying that he did not deserve the first Purple Heart from what I saw," says
Schachte.

Lisa Myers: There was no enemy fire involved?

Adm. William Schachte: None.

Myers: You're absolutely certain.

Schachte: Yes.

Myers: 36 years later?

Schachte: Hey, listen, when (laughter) somebody's shooting at you, you know it."

No after action report has been found. Schachte says as officer in charge he did not write
one because there was no combat.

The skipper of another boat that night, Mike Voss, tells NBC News, "I don't know what went
on in the skimmer, but I'm pretty certain Schachte was there, in the skimmer."

Two other officers — both Kerry critics — also support Schachte's account.

But not everyone involved shares Schachte's memory. Bill Zaladonis and another enlisted
man back up Kerry's story. They say they were in that boat with Kerry that night and
Schachte was not there.

"I don't remember every incident or everything that happened that night. But I do remember
who was on that boat and I remember it very plainly, very plainly," says Zaladonis.

The big unanswered question: Why was the Purple Heart awarded three full months after the
incident? Kerry's commander claims he turned Kerry down for the award. Kerry says he does
not recall that.

On other incidents questioned by Kerry's critics, the weight of the evidence clearly
favors Kerry.

On the Bronze Star, all available documents — including citations for other men honored
for heroism that day — all repeatedly refer to enemy fire.

On the Silver Star, former swift boat skipper William Rood came to Kerry's defense,
pointing out that Kerry's decision that day to deliberately face an enemy ambush drew
praise from then-Capt. Roy Hoffman — a leader of the vets now attacking Kerry.

Del Sandusky was on Kerry's crew for all but one of the missions in question.

"I was with John Kerry for his Silver and Bronze, and two of his three Purple Hearts. John
Kerry earned every one of his medals," he says.

Kerry's critics say he invited this kind of scrutiny when he made his Vietnam record a
central part of his campaign. But even they acknowledge that Kerry volunteered for duty in
Vietnam. And now that the president has said he doesn't think Kerry lied, it may be
difficult for critics to sustain their attacks.

Bush Cost Me My JOB!!!

President Bush cost me my job, my kids and my houses. Thank you for
giving me
the opportunity to speak my mind.

I lost my job this past year. When Clinton was president I was secure
and prosperous, but in the last year, we had to close our operations.
We simply could not go on because of the way Bush was handling things
. Our people worked for low pay under very bad conditions. They worked
very long shifts, and many even died on the job. However, Bush put an
end to all that. I was forced out of the place where I had worked for
34 years. Not a single government program was there to help me. How
can Bush call himself “compassionate?"

Far worse, I lost my two sons in Bush's evil war in Iraq. They gave
their lives for their country, and for what? I lost my two, good,
charming boys in a lost cause.

While it is trivial next to the loss of my sons, I regret to say that
I also lost my homes. I simply have nothing left. How can Bush call
himself compassionate when he neglects people like me? I am a senior
citizen with various medical problems. I'm not in a position where I
can begin a new career.

Mr. Bush cost me everything! How I long for the Clinton years.
Everything went my way during
those 8 wonderful years. I never dreamed that a change in the White
House would cost me so much, financially and personally. If I had any
money left, I would donate it to the Democrat Party.

If Al Gore had been elected in 2000 I would still have a job, a home,
and most importantly, my two wonderful sons!

Cordially Yours,
Saddam Hussein
--
Left-wing liberals are EVERYTHING they accuse the right of being. They
are mean, vicious, hateful, greedy, cold-hearted, closed-minded,

Liberals HATE America!
Hanoi Jane Fonda
2004-08-28 05:25:28 UTC
Liberals claim that they are actually TURDS!

NEWSWEEK reports that liberals, appearing before a right-to-life rally
in Tampa, Florida on June 17, stated: “We must always remember that
all liberals begin life as a feces. A feces is a living being also
known as a liberal, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights
and government welfare programs of any other piece of liberal feces.”
Liberals repeated this error at least a dozen times, before realizing
that they had used the word “feces” when they meant to say “turd.”