And We Listen to Cretin Oil Pigs!!!!!!
enceladus
2003-11-07 05:33:08 UTC
Testimony of Dr. David R. Criswell: Senate Hearing on "Lunar Exploration"

Testimony of Dr. David R. Criswell at Senate Commerce, Science, and
Transportation Subcommittee on Science, Technology, and Space Hearings:
"Lunar Exploration"
Thursday, November 6, 2003, 2:30 PM - SR-253

Dr. David R. Criswell, Director, Institute for Space Systems Operations,
University of Houston and University of Houston-Clear Lake

Mr. Chairman and Members of the Subcommittee:

I am honored to have this opportunity to introduce a program for the
economic and environmental security for Earth, and especially for the United
States of America, by meeting Earth's real electrical power needs.

By 2050, approximately 10 billion people will live on Earth demanding ~5
times the power now available. By then, solar power from the Moon could
provide everyone clean, affordable, and sustainable electric power. No
terrestrial options can provide the needed minimum of 2 kWe/person or at
least 20 terawatts globally.

Solar power bases will be built on the Moon that collect a small fraction of
the Moon's dependable solar power and convert it into power beams that will
dependably deliver lunar solar power to receivers on Earth. On Earth each
power beam will be transformed into electricity and distributed, on-demand,
through local electric power grids. Each terrestrial receiver can accept
power directly from the Moon or indirectly, via relay satellites, when the
receiver cannot view the Moon. The intensity of each power beam is
restricted to 20%, or less, of the intensity of noontime sunlight. Each
power beam can be safely received, for example, in an industrially zoned
area.

The Lunar Solar Power (LSP) System does not require basic new technological
developments. Adequate knowledge of the Moon and the essential technologies
have been available since the late 1970s to design, build, and operate the
LSP System. Automated machines and people would be sent to the Moon to build
the lunar power bases. The machines would build the power components from
the common lunar dust and rocks, thereby avoiding the high cost of
transporting materials from the Earth to the Moon. The LSP System is
distributed and open. Thus, it can readily accommodate new manufacturing and
operating technologies as they become available.

Engineers, scientists, astronauts, and managers skilled in mining,
manufacturing, electronics, aerospace, and industrial production of
commodities will create new wealth on the Moon. Thousands of tele-robotic
workers in American facilities, primarily on Earth, will oversee the lunar
machinery and maintain the LSP System.

Our national space program, in cooperation with advanced U.S. industries,
can produce the LSP System for a small fraction of the cost of building
equivalent power generating capabilities on Earth. Shuttle- and Space
Station-derived systems and LSP production machinery can be in operation in
space and on the Moon within a few years. A demonstration LSP System can
grow quickly to 50% of averaged U.S. electric consumption, ~0.2 TWe, within
15 years and be profitable thereafter. When LSP provides 20 terawatts of
electric power to Earth it can sell the electricity at one-fifth of today's
cost or ~1 ยข/kWe-h. At current electric prices LSP would generate ~9
trillion dollars per year of net income.

Like hydroelectric dams, every power receiver on Earth can be an engine of
clean economic growth. Gross World Product can increase a factor of 10. The
average annual per capita income of Developing Nations can increase from
today's $2,500 to ~$20,000. Economically driven emigrations, such as from
Mexico and Central America to the United States, will gradually decrease.

Increasingly wealthy Developing Nations will generate new and rapidly
growing markets for American goods and services. Lunar power can generate
hydrogen to fuel cars at low cost and with no release of greenhouse gases.
United States payments to other nations for oil, natural gas,
petrochemicals, and commodities such as fertilizer will decrease. LSP indust
ries will establish new, high-value American jobs. LSP will generate major
investment opportunities for Americans. The average American income could
increase from today's ~$35,000/y-person to more than $150,000/y-person.

By 2050, the LSP System would allow all human societies to prosper while
nurturing rather than consuming the biosphere.

Respectfully submitted,

Dr. David R. Criswell, Director, Institute for Space Systems Operations,
University of Houston and University of Houston-Clear Lake, Houston, TX The
Lunar Solar Power System and its general benefits are described in the
attached fourpage document.

Additional papers are available on these websites and via search engines
(search on "David R. Criswell" or "Lunar Solar Power"):

The Industrial Physicist http://www.tipmagazine.com

The World Energy Congress (17th and 18th)
http://www.worldenergy.org/wec-geis/
Brad Guth
2003-11-13 19:54:08 UTC
Unfortunately our NASA, thus our NSA/DoD cult, has become a freaking
joke. This recent posting that I've offered has everything to do with
proper utilization of our moon, otherwise damn little to offer Mars or
the ESE fiasco. This following post is also not of my opinion that
obtaining energy from the moon is out of the question, as though it's
certainly doable but, perhaps we should first obtain a working
LSE-CM/ISS.

"Robert Zubrin is full of it (again), Mars or bust"

Mars or bust is almost as bad off as those ESE or bust cults.

Like Dr. Robert Zubrin's variation upon conditional and/or skewed
physics, of our making a go of his Mars or bust campaign, I too agree
that it's entirely possible to place man, woman and beast on the Mars
surface. As cold and irradiated to death as it is, with a good deal of
technology, years worth of those deliveries plus "banked bone marrow"
and perhaps a trillion hard earned bucks (that's if nothing goes
horrifically wrong) is actually where this sort of adventure is going
to become possible.

Though years if not decades worth of R&D down the road, and of hiring
the likes of Arthur Andersen in order to further snooker the rest of
us village idiots into paying for all of it, it'll be another cold day
on Earth or perhaps Hell before any of that happens, least of all
within our lifetimes, and least yet for the survivors capable of
returning home. Since if they're not already irradiated dead there's a
fairly darn good chance that they'll be in the process of dying if not
infected with Mars microbe DNA and subsequent RNA that'll take Earth
by surprise.

Since the infinite wisdom of humans has been so far to advance the
onset of our very own global greenhouse, that plus the fact that Hell
isn't freezing over any time soon, time is simply not on our side,
especially if we're still looking for those WMD. So, even if we pony
up to the bar with those hundreds of billions, and devote decades into
this Mars or bust fiasco, having that much underway along with the
ongoing ESE fiasco and lo and behold, we're not only bankrupt but
still not on the moon, still unable as to obtaining those terrific
resolutions of truly fantastic VLA/SAR imaging, still unable as to
making those affordable and efficient pit stops at the LSE-CM/ISS
depot as to advert otherwise having to launch the required tonnage of
mission radiation shielding, nor do those folks returning from Mars as
survivors have a truly "safe house" for the duration of their lives as
situated on the moon.

Seems Dr. Zubrin offers no intentions of shedding truthful light upon
the overall investment budget, nor even a dim light upon the "what if"
factors, nor upon anything that's the least bit more doable at a
fraction of the cost with damn little chance of losing those
astronauts due to the extended and thereby extensive TBI dosages (not
to mention reentry crisping).

Speaking of said TBI dosages; Mars (because of it's distance from the
sun) receives far more cosmic impact per hour than our moon which
takes on a mere 6 mr/hr. Though the cosmic influx of even 12 mr/hr
seems rather manageable, that's hardly the case when those are
reportedly so energetic by a good 100 fold impact of creating
secondary radiation factors well above the typical solar influx of
rads/hr, of which those boosted solar deliveries such as the
October/November events can be detected in sufficient time in order to
alert those on the Mars surface to seeking cover sufficiently deep
underground, as otherwise that horrifically lethal solar influx is
nearly undefended by the zilch worth of Mars atmosphere (recalling
that there's also no Van Allen zone of death defending Mars).

This is clearly where the application of 3+ meters worth of Mars
density soil and rock may become sufficient for the short term of what
his mission to Mars may have to offer but, that's about it.
Unfortunately for mother Earth, we'll be stuck with at least 100 fold
the tonnage of artificially created and thereby artificially permanent
CO2 for our beloved greenhouse environment, that's 100 tonnes CO2 per
tonne of whatever is being sent off towards Mars. Now that's another
truthful investment budget that Dr. Zubrin is avoiding like the plague
(wonder why?).

In case you're another Borg morron idiot, I'm not referencing the mere
launch worth of CO2 creation, but inclusive of the associated industry
and enterprise of getting such things ready for launch, then looking
after such things once underway, as certainly providing an overall
accumulation of CO2 contributions that'll likely far exceed the 100
fold factor if one is being the least bit honest.

So, if I'm suggesting that there could be alternatives worth
considering, you'd be absolutely right, as in dead on in thinking that
I'm pushing for what's doable within existing technology, as well as
within a relatively short timeline, by what's far more affordable and
most capable of providing essential Earth sciences, upon what's been
needed for decades.

On the other hand, I'd fully support a rather significant Mars robotic
mission that's capable of putting on thousands of surface expedition
miles per year, as in year after year. Though even this task is more
than daunting with any respect to such a delivery, say a relatively
small 1 tonne machine, which is roughly not even 1% of what a manned
landing would entail.

Just in case some of the new-comers are a wee bit lost; All of this
lunar interest is in regard to my LSE (Lunar Space Elevator) and/or
GMDE (Guth Moon Dirt Express) depot, as a means/gateway to an end
(actually many ends): http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-cm-ccm-01.htm
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/space-radiation-103.htm
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/earth-moon-energy.htm
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/moon-sar.htm